Tips for making your very own open terrarium (and keeping it alive!)…
- Build your DIY terrarium in a transparent container (like glass), so light can pass through it.
- Make sure the container opening is wide enough to easily work in.
- Make sure the plants you select have similar needs (don’t plant succulents with ferns, they have different water requirements).
- Thoroughly clean your terrarium container before use. Just a good rinse in hot water and drying with paper towel is enough.
- Use clean rock (no rocks picked out of your backyard, don’t invite bacteria to the party!) for the base. Or use glass gems.
- You can find dry, or dead moss, plus soil that drains well, and the plants at a local nursery.
- Don’t over water! Water weekly, or every other week, using a dropper or spray bottle.
- Add little keepsakes to personalize your terrarium.
For more in-depth information on terrariums check out these two sites: